Home Crime and Scandal The Mysterious Death of Henry Sherburne in 1680

The Mysterious Death of Henry Sherburne in 1680


What records exist show that Henry Sherburne was a prosperous, early settler of Portsmouth, N.H. From a well-established family in England, he received a good education before coming to New England in 1632. Sherburne, though an Anglican, arrived in North America during the Great Migration of Puritans.

He rose to prominence in the young seacoast settlement. He had a talent for acquiring wealth, but he also had a knack for making enemies. His combativeness probably led to his death.

Henry Sherburne

Sherburne was born on March 28, 1611, in Odiham, England. His ancestors had built Stonyhurst in Lancashire, but the elder branch of the family died out and it passed into the hands of Thomas Weld. Stonyhurst now serves as a Catholic boys boarding school.

Henry Sherburne received a classical  education somewhere unknown, but it served him well. In Portsmouth he accumulated large tracts of land and served as town clerk, judge and selectman from the 1640s to the 1660s. Later he won an associated judgeship in Massachusetts. His great grandson, Tobias Lear, worked as George Washington’s secretary.

Today, one of Portsmouth’s most luxurious houses from the period bears his name.

Henry Sherburne House, Portsmouth, N.H. (Photo by Magicpiano)

Henry Sherburne House, Portsmouth, N.H.

Yet Sherburne’s life had a more boisterous side. He was active in laying out land into lots in Portsmouth, and more than once this brought him into court to settle differences of opinion involving land ownership. He also appears in court records giving testimony regarding a case of slander.

Not Serene

In 1667, Sherburne’s first wife, Rebecca Gibbons, died. Three years later in 1670 he remarried, to widow Sarah Abbott. The Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire notes that the couple kept a home that was “not always serene.”

In 1665, agitators in New Hampshire were attempting to rid themselves of oversight from Massachusetts. Sherburne was summoned to Massachusetts to answer for himself, facing accusations of sedition.

And in 1671, Sherburne appears in a case involving a fight. Thomas Avery, a witness, said Sherburne and John Keniston had engaged in a brawl early in the winter of 1670. Keniston had been in trouble with the courts and had settled on property in Greenland.

Avery reported seeing the start of the argument and witnessed Sherburne challenging Keniston to step outside. Sherburne’s wife then fetched him, and he found Sherburne outside: “I went out and Sherburne’s face was black as if he had been grievously beaten and I took him up.  But I saw not any blows between them.” Keniston would later be killed by Indians in 1677 and his house burned.

The Bickfords

Sherburne, meanwhile, survived the fight, but he had another enemy looming. Edward Bickford and his wife Mary had bought property in the Sagamore Creek area of Portsmouth. They ran a licensed tavern and farm.

The Bickfords did not get along with Henry Sherburne, and in 1680 he took them to court. Sherburne sued Bickford for damage done to his property by Bickford’s livestock – cattle, horses and pigs. A jury cleared Bickford. Sherburne made a second complaint against Bickford. This time he charged that Bickford’s children were stealing pears.

Within months, Sherburne was dead. The authorities declared that Sherburne’s death was suspicious. The Bickfords were called to the court at Dover to answer questions about Sherburne’s death, but records show the court could reach no conclusion. The Bickfords were “set at liberty” until such time as the court had more evidence.

Sherburnes’s death was left unexplained, “by some strange accident being taken.”

This story last updated in 2022. 

Image: Henry Sherburne House By Magicpiano – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28778005.



Sam Deakins March 23, 2017 - 8:22 am

Sherburne apparently was the first old guy in America to yell at the local kids to “STAY OFF MY LAWN”.

Patricia J. Caron March 24, 2017 - 6:56 pm

Henry Sherburne was my 8th great grandfather. After his first wife died and he remarried a widow, it seems as though there was a lot more drinking and brawling in his life.
I wanted to point out that the white house shown above was owned by Henry’s great grandson, also a Henry, son of Samuel Sherburne who inherited my great grandfather’s estate and was eventually killed while chasing Indians in Maine. This house was built after 1680; my great grandfather, Henry, lived on land near the Wentworth Hotel and Sagamore Creek. He was ordered to provide a ferry and a tavern for hospitality between Rye and points north into Dover.

Henry Gilman April 9, 2018 - 4:52 pm

He is my 9th great grandfather on both sides. My full name is Henry Sherburne of the plains Gilman.

Comments are closed.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest artciles from the New England Historical Society

Thanks for Signing Up!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join Now and Get The Latest Articles. 

It's Free!

You have Successfully Subscribed!